LADA is leaving Hackney Wick after 5 years and moving to a new space in Bethnal Green in September 2017.
To mark our departure and celebrate our time at The White Building, we’re holding an open day and Yard Sale as part of Hackney WickED Open Studios.
The day will include:
LADA Screens, 1pm to 5pm.
Selected films from the last 18 months of our monthly series will be played on a loop in the Study Room. Featured titles: Nando Messias’ Shoot the Sissy, Curious’ Sea Swallow’d, Shaun Caton’s A Glimpse Inside the Grotto, and Hugo Glendinning and Alex Eisenberg’s new film about Performance Magazine.
Katherine Araniello live, 2pm.
A short, sick, congenital performance by LADA’s Board member paying homage to inspiration porn, sympathy and the sufferings and misfortunes of others.
A Live Art Auction with Shorty, 3.30pm.
A selection of rare and precious items will be auctioned by Shorty, a deconstructed drag-child of indeterminate gender created by LADA’s current Thinker in Residence Hester Chillingworth. Auction items include:
– The last copy of Documenting Live, published in 2006 as part of LADA’s first Restock, Rethink, Reflect series on race.
– The only signed copy of Joshua Soafer’s The Many Headed Monster, a unique resource on performance’s relationship with audiences.
– The last signed copy of Out of Now, The Lifeworks of Tehching Hsieh, the first major publication on this extraordinary artist and LADA Patron.
– Katherine Araniello artworks – a chance to own three pieces created during Araniello’s Yard Sale performance, each accompanied by a copy of Katherine’s publication The Dinner Party Revisited.
– Franko B My …..Hurts limited edition, signed, framed silver pen on black paper drawing, commissioned for LADA’s 10th anniversary in 2009.
– Hayley Newman Out of Memory limited edition, unframed photograph of a location of a performance that happened in London between 1961 and 2004, commissioned for LADA’s 10th anniversary in 2009.
– Signed Performance Magazine poster, a composite images of all 66 covers of the magazine, produced to mark the launch of Performance Magazine Online and signed by founding editor Rob La Frenais
– Signed copy of Live!Art, a unique fanzine created by participants on Owen Parry’s 2015 DIY project Fans of Live Art on fans and fandoms, only copy signed by Owen Parry.
– Performance Matters Archive, a box set of 40 DVDs and booklets documenting all Performance Matters events between 2009-11 – a chance to own the only privately held copy of the archive.
– Live Culture booklet, a 60 page catalogue for a major LADA programme at Tate Modern in 2003, that is not commercially available.
– desperate optimists films – a copy of their Civic Life DVD and two comps to a screening of Further Beyond at Whitechapel Gallery.
– Tim Etchells’ Heroes & Heroines of Live Art T-shirt, the only available Andy Warhol T-shirt (medium), commissioned for LADA’s 10th anniversary in 2009.
– Split Britches – two rare, original and signed posters for Anniversary Waltz and Dress Suits To Hire.
An Unbound stall, 1pm to 5pm.
All LADA titles will be available at 50% discount and other selected titles at 20% discount.
A Raffle, 1pm to 5pm.
£3 a ticket, one random prize every time, including:
– Intellect Live: a set of all 4 books in the series on Raimund Hoghe, Lois Weaver, Ron Athey and Adrian Howells
– Live Art Almanac, Volumes 1 to 4
– Crossovers: a set of all 5 DVDs
– 2 x different sets of three LADA DVDs
– Performance Art Paper Doll by Joshua Sofaer
– Replica LADA Office by Richard Dedomenici
– Set of Performance Magazine posters
– Tehching Hsieh One Year Performance postcard set
– Monica Ross Acts Of Memory/Universal Declaration of Human Rights booklet
– Lois Weaver/Tammy Whynot FeMUSEum calendar
– plus some surprise items
A Bargain Bin, 1pm to 5pm.
Help yourself to duplicate copies of publications, journals and a range of miscellaneous items. Donations welcome.
Drinks and snacks will be served.
If you cannot attend but would like to take part in the raffle or auction remotely, please contact Amy Poole at amy(at)thisisliveart.co.uk.
Additionally, we would appreciate any support that you could give us, please see our support page or text donate through JustGiving: Text LADA17 £5 to 70070 (or more).
Banner image credit:
The Araniello Show, Image courtesy of artist
An online book launch and discussion marking the publication of the 6th issue of NS*, “Final Transmission: Performance Art and AIDS in Los Angeles”.Read more
The Live Art Development Agency and Queen Mary University of London are pleased to announce that the 2nd Annual Live Art Lecture 2021 will be presented online by the critic and artist Morgan Quaintance.Read more
An online Valentine’s Day launch of A Good Love Story by Sibylle PetersRead more
LADA is delighted to present the online screening of Walking Home, Alisa Oleva’s first film, created in the context of Performistanbul’s residency programme for performance artists on theme of ‘home’.Read more
A screening of BREADROCK, I feel like doing this a film by artist collective Fourthland (Isik Sayarer and Eva Knutsdotter) and artist and filmmaker Rosalind Fowler, originally created alongside a sculptural installation for PEER.Read more
An online event to celebrate the launch of artist and writer Tara Fatehi Irani’s new book Mishandled Archive, published by LADA. Be ready for some dressing up and shaking shoulders.Read more