Visit the Study Room
Study Room Information
Monday 10.30am – 6pm
Tuesday 10.30am – 6pm
Wednesday 10.30am – 6pm
Thursday 10.30am – 6pm
Friday 10.30am – 6pm
Please Note: These dates and times are subject to change so we advise that you always book your time in the Study Room before arrival.
Booking a space in the Study Room
To acess the Study Room please fill in our online Booking Form with your required details and wait for confirmation. If you are booking on the day please call 0208 985 2124 during office hours (10-6pm).
Further information: We recommend you search the Study Room catalogue before your visit and our Study Room Guides can be downloaded from the LADA website to help users' navigate the Study Room holdings.
A Study Room Group Visit provides the opportunity to book out the Study Room as sole users, with assistance and support from LADA’s staff. More information and booking.
The Study Room
"Their open-access Study Room provides a gateway into a provocative, challenging yet wonder-full world" - The Independent's 50 Best Museums and Galleries (October 2010)
The Study Room is the core resource of the Live Art Development Agency and is a free, open access research facility used by artists, students, curators, academics and other arts professionals.
The Study Room is siutated at LADA in Bethnal Green, London, and can be used to view artist’s work, read publications, undertake research projects, find out general information about Live Art, opportunities and networks.
The Study Room houses one of the largest publicly accessible libraries of Live Art related videos, DVDs and publications in the world and for many people the resource is one of the only opportunities to view documentation of performances that they were unable to experience ‘live’.
The Study Room holds:
- A comprehensive collection of publications ranging from theoretical texts to books on individual artists’ work.
- Thousands of DVDs, videos, CDs and digital files of performance documents and documentation.
- A range of British and international magazines, journals and back issues: including: Performance Research, Janus, High Performance, Hybrid, and Virus.
- Various Collections, including The Library of Performing Rights, a unique resource examining the intersection between performance and Human Rights.
- Information on facilities, training, networking, support structures, professional development opportunities, funding and policy for Live Art.
To browse our catalogue see here.
As part of the continuous development of the Study Room we have commissioned a range of artists and commentators to write personal Study Room Guides to help navigate users through this resource.
Feedback from different users of the Agency's Study Room can be read here.
The Study Room is a reference-only resource, and we are unable to lend any of the materials. Unfortunately we have no photocopying facilities.
The Live Art Development Agency is engaged in a long-term project to digitize the 759 videotapes held in the Study Room. To avoid possible damage to the videotapes, these are not available for viewing in the Study Room, however:
- A digitized copy of any videotape is available on request. If we have not yet digitized the videotape you would like to watch, we require three working days to make this available. Please request your title in person or by phone 020 7033 0275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some videotapes have now been digitized, and are available to watch on a computer in the Study Room. Please ask/contact us about this.
Videotapes are cataloged using "V" at the start of the catalogue/reference number. For example, V0447.